- Gutenberg: Plugin version 2.3.0
- Browser: Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- OS: MacOS High Sierra, 10:13:3
- OS Settings: Keyboard shortcuts: full keyboard access set on all control
- Test done with: keyboard and my eyes only, no screen reader or other assistive technology.
This test results are part of the large scale Gutenberg testing for Accessibility, organized by The WordPress Accessibility team.
The test is set up to do the most common tasks for a content manager (who is not a developer). Like add and modify text, headings, images, lists, tables, and embeds.
Goal of this test is to see where currently the problems are and collect data to write a manual for keyboard users. Also I want to learn and construct a standard test for other assistive technology.
I’ve recorded my test session, view it on YouTube. I haven’t looked at Gutenberg for a while and did not look at the code, so be as blank as possible for how things work.
First: add a new post, using the Gutenberg editor
Set up some content
- enter a title
- add a paragraph with some texts
- add an H3 heading with the text “this is a heading”
- add an image
- add a list of 5 items (cats, dogs, fish, birds, spiders)
- add a table with 2 columns, 2 rows and add some data in the cells
- add the YouTube embed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs
Actions at the top:
- preview the post
- publish the post
- switch to draft
- hide and display the settings (the wheel)
- Open “More” ( 3 dots) and switch from visual code editor to code editor and back again
Modify the paragraph
- make a link to wordpress.org on one of the words
- align the text to the left when you focus the paragraph
- with the settings on the top, select Fix toolbar to Top, is this usable for you when you change the content of a paragraph?
Modify the paragraph with the Block options (you can see the blocks by selecting the settings wheel at the top).
- switch of/off drop cap
- change font size and reset it
- change background colour red
- change text colour light grey
- clear text and background colour
- align the block to the left
- add an additional CSS class wp-caption
Modify a heading
- change the H3 heading into an H2
- make a part of the heading italic
- remove the heading
Modify an image
- add a link to the image
- add a caption
- align image to the right
- change the size of the image using the Block options
Modify the list
- add an item to the list
- delete an item from the list
Modify the table
- add a row
- add a column
- delete a row
- delete a column
Manipulate the blocks
- move the image above the H2 heading
- turn the list into a paragraph
- delete a block
Found issues and questions
- How to reach the block options for a corresponding block? I could not find a way to reach the block options because the focus on the item you are working on is lost.
- How to add a link to a paragraph or caption, the focus is lost before you can add the link to the selected test.
- For the block type selection: if you tab twice, the focus drops out of the modal.
- The preview button does not get focus, I can not preview the post.
- After selecting Publish it’s confusing how to get to the update options. They are hard to reach with keyboard, I couldn’t figure out the tab order for this.
- How to select a date of publishing, only the time gets visual focus. The date modal could not be closed by keyboard too.
- What is the logic for showing/not showing the toolbar above for example a paragraph. Sometimes is shows, sometimes it doesn’t.
- Not keyboard related, but anyhow: The table needs a <th> option.