The combination web development and accessibility is my passion. The web should be usable for everyone.
Before and during the work on a web project or plugin, I review, consult and research, to make the end result as accessible as it can be for all visitors and users.
With the International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP) I am registered as a Certified Professional in Web Accessibility (CPWA). In the Netherlands I’m a certified accessible web builder educated by the Dutch Accessibility Foundation.
At the moment I work as an accessibility consultant for the full service digital agency Level Level. I work on client projects and train my colleagues.
Recent consultancy work for Level Level
- Education of the designers and developers of Level Level.
- Internal accessibility auditing of Level Level client work.
- WCAG-EM Accessibility audits.
- Research and code reviews for accessible projects of Human Made.
- Research and code reviews to help keep the WordPress form plugin Gravity Forms WCAG 2.1 AA compliant.
Previous consultancy work
For the Genesis Framework I did an accessibility overhaul to make it WCAG 2.0 AA compliant. Tenon.io mentioned Genesis as the most accessible WordPress framework in their research in 2018.
Training web accessibility
In 2020 we started the The A11y Collective, an online learning platform for web accessibily, for designers, developers and content creators. But also for site owners, project managers and takeholders.
Web development as a freelancer (before 2018)
- Oogvereniging.nl (Dutch site): WordPress theme for the Dutch Eye Association. This website is approved WCAG 2.0 AA accessible by the Dutch Accessibility Foundation.
- Game-accessibility.com: WordPress theme for this portal for gamers and developers about the accessibility of digitale serious games, commissioned by the Dutch Accessibility Foundation.
Open source contribution
In 2016 Knowbility gave me the Heroes of Accessibility Award for Individual Achievement for my contributions to WordPress.
Girl on Film
- What makes an accessible card? ,
webinar for Tenon on YouTube, August 2019
- Who’s afraid of ARIA – Helsinki,
WordCamp Nordic, Helsinki, Februari 2019
- Who’s afraid of ARIA – Nashville,
WordCamp US, Nashville, December 2018
- Testing Web Accessibility,
Together with Sami Keijonen, WordCamp Europe 2018, Belgrade
- Accessibility Testing, Tools and Workflow,
WordCamp US, Nashville, December 2017
- Accessibility, where to start,
WordCamp Brighton UK, August 2017
- Accessibility in the Age of the Headless CMS,
WordCamp Europe, Paris, June 2017
- WordPress, state of the Accessibility,
WordCamp Europe, Vienna, June 2016. Please also read the related blog post with all the information plus more
- WordPress is what we make of it,
WordCamp the Netherlands, Utrecht, September 2015
- The Accessibility-Ready Tag for Your Theme – Why and How,
WordCamp Europe, Seville, June, 2015
- All About Accessibility,
Carrie Dils Genesis Office Hours 43, Podcast, January, 2015
- Those Who Don’t Jump Will Never Fly,
London WordPress Meetup, July 2014
- A More Accessible WordPress Panel Discussion,
WP Bacon, Podcast, July 2014