The combination web development and accessibility is my passion.
For a wide range of clients I train the people involved in a web project. Before and during the build of a web project I review, consult and research, to make the project as accessible as it can be for all visitors and users.
- At the moment I work as an accessibility consultant for the full service digital agency Level Level. I work on client projects and train my colleagues.
- For Humanmade.com I worked on client projects and helped with the rebuild of the company website. At the moment Human Made is hiring me through Level Level for consultancy.
- For the Genesis Framework I did an accessibility overhaul to make it WCAG 2.0 AA compliant. Tenon.io mentioned Genesis as the most accessible WordPress framework in their research in 2018.
Training web accessibility
- In 2018 we started the Level Level Academy. Here I give a series of workshops about good practice for designers, developers and content creators.
- I give in-house workshops for companies like Team Yoast, Yard Internet, Stuurlui, Human Made and Geev vorm.
Web development as a freelancer
- Oogvereniging.nl (Dutch site): WordPress theme for the Dutch Eye Association. This website is approved WCAG 2.0 AA accessible by the Dutch Accessibility Foundation.
- Game-accessibility.com: WordPress theme for this portal for gamers and developers about the accessibility of digitale serious games, commissioned by the Dutch Accessibility Foundation.
Open source contribution
In 2016 Knowbility gave me the Heroes of Accessibility Award for Individual Achievement for my contributions to WordPress.
Girl on Film
- Who’s afraid of ARIA,
WordCamp US, Nashville, December 2018
- Testing Web Accessibility,
Together with Sami Keijonen, WordCamp Europe 2018, Belgrade
- Accessibility Testing, Tools and Workflow,
WordCamp US, Nashville, December 2017
- Accessibility, where to start,
WordCamp Brighton UK, August 2017
- Accessibility in the Age of the Headless CMS,
WordCamp Europe, Paris, June 2017
- WordPress, state of the Accessibility,
WordCamp Europe, Vienna, June 2016. Please also read the related blog post with all the information plus more
- WordPress is what we make of it,
WordCamp the Netherlands, Utrecht, September 2015
- The Accessibility-Ready Tag for Your Theme – Why and How,
WordCamp Europe, Seville, June, 2015
- All About Accessibility,
Carrie Dils Genesis Office Hours 43, Podcast, January, 2015
- Those Who Don’t Jump Will Never Fly,
London WordPress Meetup, July 2014
- A More Accessible WordPress Panel Discussion,
WP Bacon, Podcast, July 2014